Thursday, October 13, 2016

Contact:  Jodie Wiederkehr, Center For Ethical Science (CFES), 773-726-0589



Federal Law Violated, Charges Research Watchdog

 Click here to read the USDA Report

NASHVILLE, TN  Failure to follow protocol has left a rabbit dead, which resulted in a criticalviolation of the federal Animal Welfare Act by the USDA.

According to a September 12, 2016 U.S. Department of Agriculture inspection report, "A rabbit kicked its hind legs and vocalized loudly during anesthetic induction with injectable drugs at 7:55 am.  The researchers proceeded with the surgery and post operative records at 12:30 and 13:30 state that the "legs are paralyzed". The postoperative analgesic was noted given at 18:30.  A veterinarian was not contacted until the

following morning at which time the veterinarian recommended euthanasia."
The report also states, "A galago recovered from a craniotomy surgery and study procedure (over 12 hour duration total) conducted under general anesthesia sooner than anticipated and prior to the administration of the postoperative analgesic.  The researchers did not give the analgesic injection as the animal became agitated and aggressive after another post operative medication injection.  The researchers did not call a veterinarian for guidance.  The following morning (8 hrs later) the vet tech gave an analgesic injection and contacted the veterinarian."

This is not the first time Vanderbilt's animal research has been in hot water.  In 2015, Vanderbilt was cited by the USDA for burning two pigs so badly that they had to be euthanized.  Vanderbilt also has multiple primate deaths in its long list of violations, including being fined for killing an infant Galago monkey.  According to the 2010 settlement agreement, the infant Galago was “found dead in the washing machine after the nesting boxes had been washed.”

In a letter to Dr. Elizabeth Goldentyer, Director of the Eastern Region of the USDA/APHIS (Animal and Plant Inspection Services), Jodie Wiederkehr, Executive Director of the Center For Ethical Science (CFES), charged, "Vanderbilt University's neglect and repeated refusals to contact a veterinarian in serious situations jeopardizes the safety of the animals in their care."  CFES is urging the USDA to launch a full investigation into this incident and levy the largest fine allowable against VanderbiltUniversity of at least $10,000 per non-compliance.

"Vanderbiltshould be held accountable for their negligence which led to the unnecessary suffering of these animals," Wiederkehr stated.

All federal reports are available upon request.